Why Tiny Houses are Popular in New York
after sweeping the rest of the nation off its feet, the tiny house movement is now hitting New York like a fever and there is currently a spike in the number of people of all ages, millennials and baby boomers alike, that are starting to look at tiny houses for sale in New York.
When most people think of New York, they almost always think of the busy streets of New York City that never seem to sleep, not ever for even a second. The good news is that there is a lot more to the state than just crowded city streets.
When you get away from the bustling city streets, the Empire State offers its citizens countless state parks and even has two major forest preservation areas. The state is dotted with beautiful scenery that would make the perfect place to park a tiny home.
Just imagine being able to own a tiny house in the middle of a forest, away from the noise, but only a short drive away from the city, giving your access to both peace and quiet and all the amenities that you need.
Moreover, on top of being an escape urban living, there are more people every day that are starting to recognize that there are other benefits to living in a tiny home as well.
The Benefits of Tiny Houses New York
- Cheaper than living in the city – Most of New York State’s population is in New York City and its suburbs. With a population nearing 9 million people, rent and housing are sure to be high in New York’s bigger city. Many of the clients of who come to us are looking to get away from the big city lights and want a simpler, less expensive life. Tiny homes only cost of fraction of the price of the average single-family home, let alone the price of a single-family home in New York City. This makes tiny houses perfect for those who are looking to reduce their housing costs and turn to a more sustainable lifestyle.
- Tiny homes are mobile – Most tiny houses for sale in NY are built on wheels and can be towed just about anywhere. This makes them great for people who love to travel and don’t want to be tied down to a traditional lifestyle. Even though tiny homes are functional and can be used as a permanent residence, many people use their tiny homes for going on road trips and exploring the world in which they live.
- Tiny homes are environmentally friendly – Most tiny home owners opt for having their own solar panels or using generators for power. This means that tiny houses can be more environmentally friendly than their larger counterparts. Moreover, these smalls houses don’t have as much empty space and are therefore easier to heat in the colder months and keep cool in the hot summer months.
- Tiny homes are customizable – When you build a tiny house, you only have a limited amount of space to work with. Therefore, tiny home owners often put serious effort into designing their tiny home so that no space gets wasted or goes unused. There are many ways in which you can optimize your living space inside your tiny home. This can include fold-away tables or furniture that doubles as storage space. Aside from being able to choose what goes into your home, tiny houses come in all sorts of different shapes and styles.
- Tiny homes are functional – Above all the other benefits of buying tiny homes for sale in New York, their functionality is by far one of the most important benefits that they offer. Whether you plan on living in your it permanently or simply using it as a vacation home, a tiny house can adapt to whatever life you choose to pursue. Many people are even using tiny houses to add to their existing home and property. Some choose to have a tiny house on their property and use it as either as rental unit, in-law suite, home studio or guest house.
Cost of Tiny Houses for Sale in New York
Depending on the type and style of the house, the cost is going to vary anywhere from $20,000 to $150,000. These prices are only guides since there are dozens of factors that will influence the price of tiny homes for sale in New York.
The median price for a tiny home will likely be nearer $70,000 and $120,000. This will often include interior finishes and some builders may provide furnishings for your brand-new home.
Some people may choose to build their tiny home themselves. This requires much more physical work, technical know-how and dedication then buying or hiring a contractor. On the other hand, those who choose to build their own home, often end up spending less than $30,000 on the project. This figure, of course, depends on what types of material are used.
Where Can I Get a Tiny House in New York?
Depending on your individual plans, there are two courses of action that you can take when looking for a tiny home. You have the options to either buy an existing home, or you can choose to build your own tiny home. However, both options each have their own advantages and disadvantages.
When you buy your tiny home, you will be able to view several different homes and be able to get ideas of what you like and what you don’t like about them. Buying a home gives the ability to take your time and really figure out what you’re looking for. The downside to buying a tiny home is that you do not get to enjoy building the house. Many tiny home owners take pride in the building process and take the time to put their own touches into the way they want the house to work.
Building a tiny home gives you the ability to customize your house to your liking. Whether you use a builder, or do the work yourself, building your house allows you to put your own personal touch into the house’s finish.
Why Hiring Builders is Better Than Looking for Used Tiny Homes for Sale in New York
When building a tiny house, the best option is to enlist a licensed contractor. This will ensure that the work is done both efficiently and properly. Also, many builders even offer a warranty on their work, which means that you won’t have to worry about any major maintenance while adjusting to the tiny life.
Contractors have usually been in the industry for a while and will know the ins and outs to building quality homes. This means that you get to sit back and let them take care of all the work. When dealing with contractors, they should always make sure to listen to your needs and offer you options so that you can find what you are looking for.
What Can We Offer
We want to provide our clients with access to the best tiny houses for sale in New York. Whether they are looking for a tiny house on a solid foundation or a tiny house on wheels, we guarantee that our knowledgeable staff will work with you and get you into the house of your dreams.
With our customers as our top priority, we strive to offer an experience that is unparalleled in the world of tiny houses. We know that transitioning to tiny house living, can be huge change in your life. That is why we want to work with you and make sure that your every need is met throughout the entire building process.
Here at Build Tiny House, we work with our clients and make sure that their voices are heard during the whole project. We know that it can be a stressful time. You will likely be trying to sell or move out of your current home or dealing with financing issues and insurance. Which is exactly why we want to take all the work out of building your dream home.
Our engineers and designers meet with every client to work out what their needs our and how we can go about keeping them satisfied. We make sure that you are involved in the design process as well as overseeing the actual build process.
Throughout the build, we allow our customers to check on the progress of the work and make sure that they are fully satisfied with the quality of the build. This way, by the time the project is finished, every detail is exactly the way that you want it to be.
Our services can be found in the following cities and Build Tiny House is proud to offer free shipping to anywhere in the country.
Laws Regarding Tiny Houses in New York
In the state of New York, zoning ordinances will vary by city, town and region. Other factors that determine which laws apply to you will depend on the characteristics of the property your plan to build on or park your tiny house on. To know whether a tiny is legal on your property, make sure to carefully review your local zoning legislation.
The state of New York has land use regulations that apply to how a property can be developed. These land use regulations are often referred to as a zoning ordinance or development code. These ordinances are what vary by region, which is why it is important to check the local laws governing your region.
The Land Use ordinances in New York will include development standards that will pertain to building or placing a tiny house on your property. These standards include, but are not confined to:
- Height restrictions
- Lot size
- Building size
- Setbacks from other structures
Always remember that New York building codes always include safety and construction regulations. This help to ensure the safety of a structure and of the people who occupy it. When building a tiny home on a permanent foundation, you will likely have to adhere to all local building codes and standards. However, if you own a tiny house on wheels, you are often exempt from these standards.